Why this website?
The natural world is deeply affected by human activity. But sometimes the truth about these impacts is obscured by misinformation.
We are especially concerned about the impacts of a changing climate.
And we are also concerned that factual, truthful information is available for the general public.
Those contributing to and supporting this blog live in the electorate of Hughes in southern Sydney.
We believe that the Federal member for Hughes, Craig Kelly MP, is a significant source of misinformation on climate change and other “causes”. He opposes expert knowledge on climate change.
Our aims are simple.
- To fact check statements made by Mr Kelly and others, on climate change and other matters important to our community.
- To provide the people of Hughes with news and accurate information on environmental and community issues.
- We hope that after the next election Hughes will be represented by an MP whose views are informed by good science.
We are determined to make this blog:
- as factually accurate as possible (which means we welcome corrections if we get something wrong); and
- courteous at all times, treating with respect even those with whom we disagree.
We hope you share our aims
If you do, please follow this blog and get notifications of new posts.
Hughes Fact Check is managed by Eric Hatfield. Eric has lived in the present Hughes electorate for 50 years. He graduated as a civil engineer and worked for 35 years for the NSW government as an engineering hydrologist and environmental manager, mostly in the management of rivers and catchments. He has been interested in our changing climate and hydrology for 40 years, and takes a keen interest in climate data.
A few friends help out occasionally – writing, editing, supplying information, publicising and encouraging. Thanks to you all.
Graphic: Loftus Creek.